Saturday, May 23, 2009

Date Night: Love and Providence

The best kinds of gifts are the ones that keep giving, are thoughtful, and can be experienced with those you love.

Last year, I bought season tickets to the Pantages for MS and me. It's been a great opportunity to get dressed up and have a nice dinner with a show. We have seen Phantom of the Opera, Grease, Mamma Mia, and most recently, Dirty Dancing.

On our last date night, I thought that we might try Mozza. But... we didn't have a reservation. And... when we drove by, there was already a queue of people outside. Not to mention, we were put on hold when we tried to call at half past five.

So, we kept driving down Melrose.

And there was Providence.

I prayed for a little divine intervention while MS called to see if there was room for two.

"Why yes, dinner at the bar is open."

We immediately parked and headed in for a night of fine dining at Providence.

The sophisticated, very high end restaurant, was still pretty empty - waiting for the dinner crowd to arrive - when we walked in and were seated at the bar.

The bartender was friendly and handsome, like they are in most sophisticated, very high end restaurants in the city. MS asked for a glass of water while I glanced at the cocktail menu and ordered an
Asian Pear Martini.

I figured, "We're here. Enjoy!"

That was our mantra for the night as we took in all that Providence had to offer. We ordered seafood entrees for dinner, but it was the appetizer that made the night.

The Foie Gras Ravioli was absolutely perfect. It was light and rich, sweet and savory at the same time. I was a little sad that TWO dishes of this incredibly delicious appetizer were not ordered. We could have each had a plate of foie gras ravioli! Even MS loved it!

I asked if he knew what we were eating.

"Yes, it's a type of earthy mushroom, right?"

Bless his heart! I almost laughed the martini out of my nose, and the bartender chuckled under his breath as he overheard our conversation.

"No... not quite. Just don't ask. Enjoy it, and I'll tell you later," was all I could say. The bartender looked up and nodded in agreement.

It was definitely a night to remember.

Providence Los Angeles
5955 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038
(323) 460-4170

4 comments:

Daily Gluttony said...

Yay! I was wondering when you were going to write a new post BOLA! Dirty Dancing-the musical and Providence...what a great combo for date night! :)

KirkK said...

Hey BoLA - "it's a type of earthy mushroom, right?" I love it. It's really nice to read a new post.

SinoSoul said...

1 of these days we'll return, but it ain't gonna be for the massive tasting menus for sure...

BoLA said...

Hey DG! LOL! I know... it's been a while! Now that I have internet connection at our new place, I'm hoping to post more. Dirty Dancing was so much fun, for sure!

Hey Kirk-san! Yes, you gotta love it!

Hey SinoSoul! Providence was definitely a treat! I'm sure we'll go back again too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...