Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Great Eats at Akane Chaya


I was introduced to this great find in Gardena's Pacific Square years before I moved to Michigan. And I was so happy that the same cheesy black lacquered chairs with fake wooden tables were there, the same neon "OPEN" sign was on at Akane Chaya, and that I was able to take MS to one of my favorite eats in the South Bay.

Akane Chaya is tucked away on the east side of the plaza, right next to the Japanese book store and just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the Beard Papa Cream Puffs inside the new Marukai. An open space inside, you may sit at oddly shaped tables or along the wall to face the somewhat open kitchen on the opposite side of the room. The chairs and tables aren't very comfortable, but the food is always so delicious!

You'll always find lots of Japanese nationals, JAs, and families at this friendly little Japanese Italian restaurant. I never really understood the fixation with fusing Japanese and Italian cuisines, but after having their #14 Asari, Kinoko in Light Cream Sauce Flavored Soy Sauce for 8.50 - a Japanese spaghetti with chopped clams, mushrooms, and green onions in a sake shoyu cream sauce and topped with shredded nori...I was HOOKED!

MS tried something similar but in a rice version. Same clams, same kinoko mushrooms, same shoyu, and same shredded nori. His dish was also very tasty, and reminded me of the kind of maze gohan that my ba-chan would make minus the clams and fancy mushrooms.

The dishes came with a small little bowl of shredded purple cabbage, romaine lettuce, a tomato slice, and a watered down sesame dressing...a warm soft bread roll...and some balsamic vinegar as a dipping sauce. Two delicious meals at a great deal for about 20 dollars including tip make for great eats!

After eating at Akane Chaya, MS promised to make me his version of these dishes and I can't wait to try them!

Akane Chaya
in Gardena's Pacific Square
street: 1610 w redondo beach blvd, gardena ca 90247
t: 1.310.768.3939

11 comments:

Iron Chefstagator said...

The Asari, Kinoko in Light Cream Sauce Flavored Soy Sauce was very tasty, just as advertised.

Like you mentioned, I am going to try my hand in cooking those dishes. It doesnt seem that hard... and you know me and my cookin skillz.

Kirk said...

Hi Kristy - I've never really gotten into the Italian-Japanese thing myself. Do they have the bacon-natto pasta like Pietro's?

The Survival Gourmet said...

When you are in the area there are a few other restaurants you might try:

Mr. Wasabi - Japanese
About 3 blocks north of Redondo beach blvd. on Western

The Loft Take Out - Hawaiian
Between Western and Normandie on the north side of Redondo Beach Blvd.

Empress Garden - Dim Sum
In the same shopping center as Akane Chaya

I would also like to invite you and all of your readers to join us at BBQ'n at the Autry, a BBQ cookoff on April 7-8. I have joined forces with Professor Salt, Sylvie from Soul Fusion Kitchen and BBQ Junkie to form the "Four Q" BBQ team and we would love to have you all come out and support us! It would also be great to get L.A. food bloogers together with their readers.

The contest will be at the Autry museum at Griffith Park. Let me know if you need more details

Bigmista

The Survival Gourmet

rick james said...

cool... my cousin is moving really close to pacific square, i'll have to swing by there when i visit her.. thanks kristy!

BoLA said...

Hey Iron Chef! I'm glad you liked it too...I can't wait to try some of your tasty cookin skillz. ;)

Hey Kirk! No bacon-natto pasta at Akane Chaya from what I could remember. I steer way clear of natto. No thank you, natto!

Hey Survival Gourmet! Thanks for the heads up about Mr. Wasabi. Haven't tried that yet, but have been to the Loft and Empress Garden before. Good eats, for sure. Much lighter than L&L. And thanks for the invite to the BBQ cookoff. Do send details of the event. I will mark my calendar and hope that I can make it. :)

Hey DCCF! Swing by and let me know what you get and what you think of the place. =)

Keri said...

Hi Kristy! Just perusing your site...and I have lived in the Torrance/Gardena area for YEARS and have never been to akane chaya. Sounds yummy. =)

If you want cheap Japanese/Italian food, you can also try "Spoon House", which is located just across from Pacific Square on Redondo Beach Blvd. (You can see it from the square). They also have a huge dollar salad to go with it!

Thanks for letting me read!

Jeni said...

Seriously, the Japanese know how to cook pasta. I've had some of the most oishii pasta in Nihon. Every now I'll get a Nihon style pasta craving. I'll check out Akane Chaya when I go for my Beard Papa's run. Thanks Kristy!

BoLA said...

Hi Keri! Mmm...I absolutely LOVE Akane Chaya and wish I could eat there more. =) My bf made something similar to it last night and it was delicious! I used to eat at Spoon House with my family on the weekends for lunch. YUM!

Hi Jeni! Oishii...ne! I'm suddenly craving some Beard Papa's. ;)

Ng Wai Mun, Paul said...

Hi there!

Let me introduce myself, I'm Paul, the owner of recipes365.net, I started this weblog recently to showcase a recipe a day everyday. I was wondering would you be interested to be a recipe contributor?

Regards. Paul.

Eric N. said...

oh this looks so good... i'm going to go eat some ramen now! wow!

eric

BoLA said...

Hi Paul! Thanks for stopping by and for introducing yourself. And thanks for the invite to join your weblog. Unfortunately, I'll have to pass this time around. I've been swamped as it is, contribute to an LA based foodblogging community, and don't cook/bake enough to submit a recipe a day. But good luck and happy eating!

Hi Eric! Ramen is good, for sure! Slurp~! Thanks for reading and happy eating!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...