Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I Heart Valentine's Day, Feb 14th

So many people I know are anti-Valentine's Day or as EDnbM calls it: anti-Hallmark Day. And I can understand why. Roses and chocolates can easily become devalued with the commercialization of the sentiments behind them. Fancy prix-fixe menus can get filled to capacity, leaving many to fend for themselves. And personally, I've had many a hallmark day to get me turned off by it...

...There was the time I was alone, stuffing myself beyond belief with my favorite marshmallow-filled milk chocolates from See's.

...There was the ex who didn't believe in eating out and who didn't believe in any kind of gift giving - except the recycling kind.

...And there was the day I found out that my grandma (yes, the sweet kind one who would make me her rice porridge when I'm sick grandma) rifled through my Day Planner organizer for the phone number of the guy I was dating in high school. She called him one afternoon to tell him that he was evil and never to see me again.

But those are the horror stories of my Valentine's past. And really, I do LOVE Valentine's Day.

This year, I was inspired to make this one memorable, one for the books. So I woke up super early and made blueberry pancakes for breakfast-in-bed. And I never make breakfast. Not for myself, not for anybody. I got out of bed to whip up a batch of Betty Crocker flapjacks with some fresh blueberries mixed in. As I wiped the sleep away from my eyes, I flipped them onto a plate and brought them upstairs with some store bought orange juice. Maybe next year, I'll be ambitious enough to squeeze some fresh orange juice and pancakes from scratch.

I also packed a lunch with a little note inside that said "I love you," and made a basket of goodies for my loved one this year. It was so much fun to put everything together - things that I would like, things that I knew he would like, and things that I knew we both would enjoy.

And MS surprised me with some romantic goodies and a night of fun, relaxation, and great food too! We reminisced the times when we first met up and went to Musha back in June. He made the reservations and even had us sit at the same little table we had our first meal together. This time though, we ordered the Sashimi Sampler, the Asari Udon in a rich butter, shoyu, sake sauce with button and kinoko mushrooms, the Hot Dumpling Soup with Bok Choy, the Musha Fried Chicken Karaage with ponzu sauce, and Tiramisu for dessert. Everything was absolutely delicious! Next time, I'll be sure to take some pictures.

I must say, though, the best part of the night was just the fact that we were together, laughing at our combined goofiness, and having a great ol' time. I mean, that's really what Valentine's and being in love is all about, right?

Musha in Santa Monica
street:424 wilshire blvd
t: 1.310.576.6330
(picture taken from www.epicurious.com)

7 comments:

Jeni said...

Luuuuucky.

One day I'll be living big ol’ mansion somewhere, soaking it up in a hot tub with my soul mate.

Will you be my mcvalentine? said...

Breakfast in bed was so sweet. i first thought you left in the morning without saying goodbye... Those pancakes were delicious.

I had a lot of fun that night.

love you babe

BoLA said...

Hey Jeni! Yes...I think I'm pretty lucky. ;)

Hey MCvalentine! Back at ya!

Kirk said...

Happy Valentine's Kristy!

eatdrinknbmerry said...

Kristy, you don't know it, but MS also made me some pancakes too haha. I know i'm anti-v day, and i know you guys weren't about to go out wearing red sweaters, holding white teddy bears with red hearts. I'm supposed to eat at Musha soon - do you know if it's any different from the Torrance location?

BoLA said...

Hey Kirk! Back at ya!

Hey EDnbM! I like the SM location for sentimental reasons...the food is good too. The Torrance location is good too! Very different feel all together.

elmomonster said...

Awww...what a sweet girl you are!

Happy belated V-day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...