Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Resolution: Try new things this year
banana muffins


I'm not one for resolutions, but I do keep a running list of things to do in my lifetime.

You know the list. The one from Nicholas Sparks' A Walk to Remember or Mandy Moore's rendition of her things to do or achieve in the movie version.

I started mine back in 2002 and still carry that list with me from time to time. I've checked a few things off, added new list items, and am constantly thinking of what I want to do and accomplish in my lifetime.

A few random things on my list that I've done:
Go skydiving
Resolve broken friendships
...[ongoing]
Get a manicure and pedicure
Ride a motorcycle
Work on art portfolio
...[ongoing]
Read at least 10 books a year ...[ongoing]
Grow my own garden of herbs and plants ...[ongoing]
Another ongoing to-do of mine: Try new things. A serious creature of habit, I typically use the same recipe for my banana breads. But this year, I cracked open my manual on How to Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson for something new and different.

With a bunch of spotting ripe bananas, I took to the kitchen.

Banana Muffins | The Ingredients:
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 oozingly, bulgingly heaping Tbs clear honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Large, very ripe bananas
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

Banana Muffins | To do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Melt butter, honey, vanilla extract in pan on low heat. Remove. Set aside.
  3. Mash bananas in one bowl.
  4. In another bowl, measure out flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt.
  5. Mix melted-butter mixture with bananas. Then mix that into dry ingredients. Don't overmix. Stir a few times til you have "a not terribly attractive lumpy sludge, but don't worry about it."
  6. Place paper cupcake cups into muffin trays. Fill 2/3 full of mixture. Bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes. Leave in pans for 5 minutes, then remove and cool.
These little muffins were full of healthy tastes and great for a quick breakfast food. Moist and light, it's even better warmed with a light dab of butter on top. Next time I make these though I'm going to add a bit of chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and nuts!

4 comments:

eatdrinknbmerry said...

You've gotta give me and MS some. Those look really tasty. Have you ever tried making bread pudding? I've seen it done at The Restaurant and will probably try it soon. Maybe we can all make it over at MS's pad and then get really drunk.

BoLA said...

MS and I munched on a couple while we drove up to Mammoth. Mmm...bread pudding! Yum! Sounds like a challenge to me! It's so on! ;)

Tasty Mcbanana said...

hmm, i didn't see a couple of things on that list..... but then again maybe it wouldnt be that approprate to place there.. eh eh eh.

yes, the muffins were tasty. I enjoyed them very mch

BoLA said...

MCbanana... hmm... tell me what things are missing from my list tonight! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...